Saturday, August 7, 2010

Thank you Abe and FDR

So far it has been 14 cents in three days. Four pennies and a dime. I'm not sure when it began or if it's already over, but it has come to where I expect just to look down, reach a bit, and resurface with a tiny round piece that, had it been in my wallet moments before, would have been a petty insignificance barely called change for a chump.

But when it's on the ground, a penny is worth more than a penny.

After bumming for 12 hours about a lost internship, I hardly thought pennies and dimes were enough to lift my spirits. If anything, I thought whatever divine being was placing these coins in my path was trying to teach me to wear more practical pants all the time, not just at work.

Sometimes I would actually consider not picking up one of the coins because I didn't want any more of Hannah revealed than needed to be in that Jamba Juice.

The unapologetic hand that boldly keeps your pants up while kneeling down was useful. Though after I realized it's not that embarrassing to try to keep my underwear out of sight, the real embarrassment was clear to me. Who stops in the middle of an intersection to pick up a penny? It's a penny, for Pete's sake.

What seems to be Hannah walking in the tracks of a leprechaun is actually either a simple gift from something I've heard called Karma or an eccentric way to foretell coming providences...flukes, fortunes, serendipities, whatever you want to call it.

Something as mundane as picking up a dime is easily forgotten; but I know exactly when the luck started. Wednesday. And I know exactly when it snowballed. Friday.

("All of a sudden" is one of my least favorite phrases. Think about it. You have a bit of a sudden; it's there; it's big; it's using semi-colons relentlessly. Then, just when you don't think you can take any more of that sudden, you get all of it!)

All of a sudden, doors have been opening. Things have been happening. I've been feeling excited about working my ass off on various unpaid projects. Hard work is such a turn on for me.

The coins were not the point, I think. But the coins certainly had a point. They were like those numbingly sweet-natured, recorded women who tell you that your call is very important to them, you are next in line, please stay on the line and they will be with you shortly.

No comments: