Tuesday, December 15, 2009

"I'm reading 'Moby Dick' by Herman Melville." "Moby what?!"

I missed my books today. When I moved back in with my parents in September, I stored my book case and other unnecessary furniture in the garage. But today I hauled up the dusty, unstable plywood to my crowded room and took my livres from my closet.

A quite beautiful man bought me eight beautiful books yesterday that I got to pick out myself. Besides reading books, I love picking them out and holding a big pile, only to be devastated a few moments later knowing that I have no money to purchase them. Yesterday, I held Joyce Carol Oats, James Frey, and Charlotte Bronte and then actually got to walk them through the check-out line. Except I don't get to open them till Christmas. There's always a catch. Today I prepared for their homecoming.

The other thing I love about books besides reading them is organizing them. But I don't like to organize them alphabetically; that is much too boring. I like to throw them in a pile then put them on my shelf as fast as I can, shuffling them around according to personality. I put Rand next to Camus because I know they won't get along, and I hope for a good debate once in a while; some of my text books at the bottom because I do like them and miss them when school is not in session; the French novels dispersed amongst the English ones so it seems I am just as comfortable in both languages; the French dictionary at the top so it seems I read French daily and am openly humble with my inability to know all the words; the first edition of "White Noise" that my sister gave me at the top just because it looks cool; "Infinite Jest" somewhere in the middle because it's an awesome cover and an awesome book but I am slightly ashamed that I only got to page 362; and the books I've borrowed and never returned at the bottom so that in case the owners come over they will not notice.

(I have recently heard blogging getting a lot of flak because it is so self-absorbed and all anyone talks about is himself or herself. I almost agree. But it is really the same as anyone who has a Facebook. What's the point of putting up pictures and Facebook statuses? So that you get attention and people look at you and think, "Hm, interesting girl that is" or "I want to be his friend." This past week I have not put up a new post, partly because I have been busy baking cookies every single day, but also because I don't want to be that person who just talks about herself all the time. But I realized that I am all I want to talk about. I am a little self-absorbed. Aren't we all? Therefore, I shall blog and I shall blog about myself because I like myself. That's all I really have to say. Over and out.)

1 comment:

Elliott said...

lady....you have moves like a cat