Monday, March 16, 2009

The 80 Theory





I hate blogging when I have nothing to say. I also hate the word blogging. Or blogger.

But yes. I have nothing much to say right now. Roommates are watching Flashdance in the other room, which I have never seen, the movie I mean; I've seen the room plenty of times.

Oh. I thought of something mildly entertaining to talk about. And mild entertainment can sometimes be such a nice refreshment from all those really intense bachelor breakups and engagements and whatnot that I know we all watch with exceptional devotion. Well, I am going to the dentist tomorrow and Tuesday. A fun activity for spring break I'd say. I have to get fillings. A lot of fillings. I think ten or so. I hope I get laughing gas. Okay I was very wrong about this. Bad topic idea. Oh, how exciting this is...metablogging.

No no. I have something to relay to you all. It's an exciting new theory. The theory was actually created in 2006, but it's never been published before. And since blogger.com calls this stuff publishing, I can call this theory published after I tell you about it right now...

Summer of 2006, my friend and I go on a road trip to Colorado. We wanted to make the trip exciting, something like that Extreme Days movie where everything that could possibly happen does and we meet people and get into romantic relationships and we have car trouble and we do something really epic like jumping off of something....or something. So. We brought our video camera, my video camera, and filmed everything little thing. Turns out, the only exciting thing that actually happened was washing our hair with tomato juice because it had turned green from swimming in the rundown motel pool while creepy men came out of their rooms to stare at us. (We heard tomato juice would help...and it did.) Anyway, since we were filming every little thing, we took our camera along when we stopped the car and stepped out to go look at a view....that turned out to be very disappointing. It was very windy and she was filming me walking (exciting, I know). The wind was so intense I was falling over myself. I turned around toward the camera and in a fit of passion screamed "IT'S LIKE 80!" We halted in our tracks and laughed at my random phrase that actually seemed to make some sense, once we teased it out a bit. What I meant was, the wind felt like it was going 80 miles per hour. I don't actually know the general speed of wind. But it gave a good impression of what I was experiencing: very fast wind. 80 mph is pretty fast. In some sense at least. So here comes the theory part...After this road trip, that Like 80 exclamation being one of the highlights by the way, we began to notice how often we said "Like 80" in whatever situation. "He was going like 80." "I think I got like 80." Then we told a few friends about our theory. They began noticing themselves saying it. And here's the weirdest part: everyone says it! We noticed that not only do we ourselves use this phrase in the oddest situations. But so many other people do, too. If there is a type of situation that calls for a number under 100, especially when referring to speed, percentages, amount of people, or prices, people tend to use the number 80 if they are unable to be precise. Look around you. It's everywhere.

I'm glad I found something interesting to talk about. I think it's interesting at least. Then again, I also thought using tomato juice as shampoo was exciting.

No comments: